Classical Teaching Fellow
Classical Teaching Fellows teach in both our elementary and middle school classrooms alongside a Lead Teacher. Teaching Fellows do not have a full year of classroom experience and either are seeking certification or coming directly out of an undergraduate education program.
- An undergraduate degree (any major) conferred by June 30
- Authorized to work in the US
- GPA and Letters of Recommendation
- 3.00 or higher + 1 letter of recommendation
- 2.75–2.99 + 2 letters of recommendation
- 2.50–2.74 +2 letters of recommendation = eligible for probationary enrollment.
- 2.49 or lower is not eligible
- If uncertified, enrollment in the Relay Graduate School of Education.
If Fellows do not have valid teaching certification in Tennessee, they will automatically be enrolled in Relay Graduate School of Education. Relay is an innovative master’s degree program aimed at training excellent teachers in urban public schools. It is is a two-year Master’s program designed to provide teachers with a gradual on-ramp to the world’s greatest profession.
- During year one, you serve as a Classical Fellow and take classes at Relay.
- During year two, you can serve as a teacher of record and will work to finish certification or Master’s degree coursework.
- The total cost of Relay’s tuition is $18,000 split evenly over two years, but Relay offers Classical Fellows a discounted tuition of $7,000 split evenly over two years. Classical offers tuition assistance for the first year (equaling approximately $3,500).
- Upon completion of two additional years of teaching (a second year plus an additional year – three years total), Classical offers an additional $3,500 tuition reimbursement.
Classroom Duties Include but are not limited to:
- Teach small group lessons in Language Arts and Guided Reading.
- Teach small group lessons in Mathematics.
- Support classroom instruction in writing and grammar.
- Supervise school-wide procedures such as bathrooms, snack, and lunch.
- Lead a Specials activity, specifically PE or Spanish.
- Provide consistent rewards and consequences for behavior.
- Implement school-wide systems for academics and behavior.
- Engage families through phone calls, home visits, bus rides, and notes.
- Engage in an ongoing data-driven cycle of assessment, analysis and action.
- Participate in an annual three-week staff training prior to school’s opening.
Additional duties include but are not limited to:
- Spend 1-2 evenings per week engaged in work for Relay: A mixture of live classes, online work, video debriefing, and one-on-one meetings.
- Spend one Saturday per month engaged in Relay Coursework.
- Spend 4 hours per week engaged in grading and planning work.
Classical Fellows receive a salary between $28,000–$34,000 depending on experience in schools and prior certification. This does not include tuition assistance.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Ready to Apply?
Please fill out the application below. After submission, please email a cover letter and resume to careers@NashvilleClassical.org.
This page will not save your data, so we recommend writing your answers out in another editing platform. For the Written Interview Questions, approximately 250 words per question. There are no “correct” answers; however, the more specific you can be the better.