2017–2018 Principal Fellow
The Principal Fellow (PF) position is designed to prepare an extraordinary leader to become an extraordinary Nashville Classical Principal. Under the supervision of Nashville Classical’s Executive Director and in collaboration with our current Principal, the PF will be immersed in school leadership responsibilities, including developing instructional coaching, supervision, and evaluating skills and planning school academic and school culture interventions. Other responsibilities include oversight of school performance and operations, and making structural, budgetary, and personnel decisions that promote student achievement related to a specific grade level, content, or area of the school.
Most importantly, this position is being created to develop the leader of the upcoming, authorized Nashville Classical Middle School. The mission of the PF is to design a school both aligned to Nashville Classical’s strong elementary foundation and equipped to surpass it. They are the architect of our scholars’ futures and our organization’s next step and there is no ceiling.
The PF should expect to receive support from a variety of people and organizations, including national institutions like Relay National Principal Academy Fellowship and the Building Excellent Schools Rising Leaders Cohort. Locally, the PF will report directly to the Elementary School Principal. However, the PF will also receive training and feedback from the Executive Director, working closely with Nashville Classical’s founder to set a vision for adult culture, student culture, and instruction. Upon meeting targeted benchmarks, the PF is expected to transition into a full-time planning role in Spring 2018 and will serve as Middle School Principal for the 2018-2019 school year.
Our team is hardworking, humble, and smart. We come from diverse backgrounds and bring different skills, but all of us believe a child’s destiny cannot be decided by wealth, race, or background.
At Nashville Classical, we expect every adult to:
- Focus on scholars – our job is to improve minds and change lives
- Operate with Integrity - always do the right thing; try to do things right
- Be Resilient - grit, optimism and effort are adversity’s worst enemies
- Treat your position as Scholarship – seek to improve constantly
- Join the Team - Collaborate, communicate, and celebrate
In addition, the Principal Fellow should have experience in the following areas:
- Achieved measurable results working with an urban population.
- Served in a School Leadership capacity
- Directly managed adults
- Completely owned school-wide initiatives
The Principal Fellow’s duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Learn the Nashville Classical instructional and coaching model
- Supervise one grade of instructors, evaluate lesson plans, and coach teachers to ensure effective instruction.
- Ensure effective collection and analysis of student performance data to identify struggling students, curriculum shortfalls, and teacher quality issues.
- Support school culture program and interventions.
- Engage parents and other community members in school and extracurricular activities.
Finance, Operations, and Compliance
- Create, manage, and evaluate operational processes including scheduling and budget to ensure student achievement.
- Maintain compliance with state and federal regulations for education standards/requirements.
Leadership and School Design
- Learn Nashville Classical personnel management model and manage personnel consist with the school’s values and goals.
- Conduct residencies in the nation’s best schools and collaborate with the Executive Director to design Nashville Classical Middle School’s curriculum and culture.
- Collaborate with the Principal to align Nashville Classical Middle School’s curriculum and culture to the elementary school’s strong foundation.
- Be present and engaged daily from 7:00 AM – 4:20 PM
- Work periodic evenings and weekends as needed
- School launch is, quite simply, the most challenging role in all of education. As a result, the Principal Fellow should expect to work throughout most of Summer 2018 to prepare for school opening.
We offer a generous compensation package (including full benefits) and equip school staff with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated workspace, laptop computer, high-speed internet access, and pertinent office supplies. In this role, there will also be a behavior support phone that will be shared by administrators and primarily belong to the Behavior Support Coordinator.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Ready to apply?
Please fill out the application below. After submission, please email a cover letter and resume to careers@NashvilleClassical.org.
For the written interview questions, approximately 250 words per question. There are no “correct” answers; however, the more specific you can be the better. This page will not save your data, so we recommend writing your answers out in a text editor (like Apple Pages or Microsoft Word) first.